- 800g lean beef mince
- 2 medium red onions chopped roughly
- 300g sliced button mushrooms
- 40ml olive oil
- Leaves of 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4tblspns rough chopped fresh oregano
- 4 tblspns dark brown gravy powder
- 1tspn cracked black pepper
- 1tspn sea salt
- 1cup hot water
- 3 large potatoes - peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 medium orange sweet potato - peeled, cooked and mashed
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 cup Parmesan or Romano, grated
In a medium frypan add the olive oil and the chopped onions and cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
Add to the pan the sliced mushrooms, fresh thyme leaves, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until soft. Add the beef mince to the mixture and stir, breaking up the mince with a fork while cooking over medium heat. Cook until the beef mince is just cooked through. Sprinkle the gravy mix over the mixture and mix through thoroughly.
Add the hot water and mix through and simmer over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
Take off heat and scoop mixture out of frypan and into a medium casserole dish. Allow to cool.
Preheat oven to 190C.
Mix the white potato mash and orange sweet potato mash along with the melted butter and the cheese, making sure its well mixed.
Put the potato mixture into a piping bag and pipe on to the top of the meat mixture in the casserole dish.
Place the casserole dish into the heated oven and cook for approx 15 minutes until the potato topping has started to brown. You can also top with grated cheddar cheese for even more taste.
By: Chrissy Rob